Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:13:15 -0500
Ross,

If the specimens were examined by the person describing the taxon, they
would be paratypes. Please note, if they were examined by the describer,
they would be paratypes, unless the describer specifically excluded them
and stated so.

If the specimens were from the type lot, however, were removed before the
taxon was described (and not seen by the describer) they have no taxonomic
standing (ie: holotype, paratype, neotype, lectotype, paralectotype). They
could be called topotypes, specimens of a given taxon from the type
locality.

> I "should" know this, and no doubt there is a plethera  of info on the
> web to help me, but Conch-l is easier and more fun!!
>
> What does one call a specimen which is from the same "lot" (group of
> specimens collected from a single population at the same time) that the
> type specimen(s) of a given taxa were selected - ie, the specimen in
> question was from the same lot of shells used when describing the taxa,
> but not selected as an "official" type specimen of any type?
>
>  From sunny, spring-like New Scotland,
> Ross Mayhew.
> ( http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com/ )

> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine