From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:47:26 -0400
[This message was mailed early today but some tech glitch prevented it from
 reaching the group; list moderator Amy Edwards is helping solve my mail
server problem]

"Hi Debbie (welcome back!) and Richard,

The Museum provides this shell kit to school teachers:
www.shellmuseum.org/Map/schoolkits.htm; assembly of the kit, which is an
offshoot of the collections department of the Shell Museum, is done by
volunteers Hal and Marguerite Pilcher. The kit is sold “at cost” (I use
quotation marks because the kit is actually priceless ;D ) to teachers who
request it on school stationery (i.e., the kit is not for sale to the
general public; if it were we would not be able meet the demand, etc.)

A great general book for beginners is Seashells of North America by R.
Tucker Abbott www.shellmuseum.org/Store/Namerica.html; some of the names and
some of the above-species level taxonomy  are outdated, but the general plan
of the book and the illustrations by George Sandström  make it a perennial
best of its kind (it was my first shell book back in the 1960s, and for
several reasons I am strongly biased in its direction.)

BTW, the Shell Museum web site is undergoing a full remake; in addition to a
facelift in the entire site, we will make it easier to navigate and render
the data entry in its databases more efficient. Keep you eyes open!

Happy Shelling,

José
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum