Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:57:03 -0400
That's a made-up story. Toads can't survive that long in hibernation.

As for snails, they have been transported many times on limestone & marble.
In fact, the U.S. gets snails all the time on tiles & marble products
imported from Italy, Turkey, etc.

http://snailstales.blogspot.com/2008/08/old-news-about-papillifera-papillaris.html