From:
"Cadee M.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:35:16 +0200
> ----------

Dear Bill,

You will have to clean them, not to bleach. Cleaning is best done by drying
the clay, and when fossil and clay is dry, put it in warm water with some
soap or sythetical detergent. wash the fosiils there after with some water
in order to remove the soap.
If necessary I treat the fossils with a solution of a plastic glue in
acetone. NB. the fossiles must becompletely dry when you treat them with the
glue solution.
If your fossil is in several pieces, clean all the peices and treat them as
stated above. Then you can glue the pieces to rfeconstruct the fossil.
When the clay is hard to remove you can use a solution of 3% H2O2, but again
your clay must be dry before you put the fossil in this solution. be sure
there is no pyrite  (FeS2) in the shell! this reacts with H2O2 and produses
sulfuric acid, which react with your fossil.
Goog Luck!
Martin Cadee
Klimroos 35
2317 GD Leiden