From:
Flavio Favero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 14:29:06 +0100
Hi friends,

Regarding the discussion about sendind and receiving shells using postal
package,
I want to explain how work the the Italian postal system in this case.
1) the Package arrive to the customs.
2) The customs office send to you by mail a form to fill out with type of
material received
   name, adress, which type of use of the material (amateur, study,business
ecc....)
3) You must go to the municipality office to certify the document with your firm
   in front of a municipality functionary and pay a stamp of 1/2 US$ (500
italian lire)
   (Often the functionary don't know the form sent by the customs)
4) You send the form certified to the forestal corps office by mail
5) The functionary of forestal corp when receive the form certified go to
the customs
   to check the material and verify that the material observes the CITES law.
   (I have had always doubts that the functionary of the forestal corp know well
   the shells (he must also check insects, plants and many other wildlife
material
    ....not only shells), I'd like to try to send some tridacna or Juv.
Strombus gigas..
6) If the material is Ok the customs send the package to your home,
otherwise...who knows?

An example: a package sent to Japan at 17-09-1998 arrived to my home today
17-10-1998.
Till now all the packages are arrived to me and my packages are arrived to
the destination.

The first time was very difficult to do all the steps because there was one
functionary
that doesn't know the form, the other one that doesn't know what the form
need to be
filled..... it was like a jungle... but now the experience help me!

Thanks to all the friends that helped me to identify the shells on my web site,
I hope that you have appreciated also the other photos on the shell gallery,
I have another
surprise...after the erronea stolheri, in a few days I'll put an image of a
rare Amusium
of the Philippines..
Thank to all also about the discussiona about kintoki and the classification
of the Tellina radiata
(Thanks John, Bobbi,Thijs, Paul)

Ciao

FLAVIO FAVERO