From:
Jane Heintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:55:54 -0400
In New England, they use whelks (Busycon carica & B. canaliculatum) for
chowder.  They have been commercially trapped in Nantucket, MA , but the
commercial aspect of it seems to be falling off due to over-fishing.  I
believe they are sent to New Bedford to be sold there.  The locals in
Nantucket still collect them for chowder.

Jane Heintz
> From: mark <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: what are these used for ???
> Date: Tuesday, October 20, 1998 9:02 AM
>
> Good morning all.
> While watching a PBS program on southern light houses  they briefly
> staggered thru a section on shrimpers who were legally harvesting
"conchs"
> (busycon kieneri or caurica couldn't tell tho as they were very
encrusted)
> using shrimp trawling equipment. the question is , what are these whelks
> used for , I've smelled the fumes from the boil pot when cleaning these
> shells and on a scale of 1-10 , 10 being delicious and 1 being army food
> (slightly above airline cuisine) these whelks were maybe a 2. Are they
being
> harvested for the overseas market? any suggestions would help , Mark &
Peta