From:
Gregory Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:05:49 -0600
Hello Art,
I asked Emily Vokes the same question a year ago.  It seems that the long
spines are the most energy efficient means of increasing effective size
(i.e.diameter) without actually having to increase body volume.  This
prevents predators (i.e. fish) that would normally prey on gastropods of
that body volume from preying on that particular species.  Larger fish
with bigger mouths could eat the snail, but the small body volume of this
murex would most likely make it not worth the energy.  It's like making a
sandwich that's too big to eat without having to put any extra meat in it.
Greg Herbert
Loyola Univ.
New Orleans, LA