From:
Michael Reagin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:52:11 -0500
Hello all

I am in the process of a much needed re-identification of my
Caloosahatchee fossil material and I am having problems getting a grasp of
the olives.  I have found that the comment that Olsson and Harbinson make
in their 1953 work on the Caloosahatchee mollusks from St. Petersburg in
which "fossil olives which have lost their color are difficult shells to
identify" is an understatement.  In that same publication they writhe that
the common Oliva at that site did not confirm with either Oliva sayana or
O. reticularis but seemed closer to the latter and named it as a
subspecies of O. reticularis.  I have numerous olives from multiple
Caloosahatchee localities and the majority are O. sayana.  I have a few
that are probably the same as those of O&H however they bare very little
resemblance to O. reticularis/fulgurator.  If anything they look more like
Oliva carolinenesis from the Upper Pliocene but with a more tapering body
like O. reticularis.  Petuch calls the common olive in the Caloosahatchee
Oliva rosae and I do not have the publication in which he names it.  I
feel that most of his Oliva species are variations of O. sayana however I
would like to know if O. rosae is the naming of the species that O&H
called a subspecies of O. reticularis.  I could call it Oliva sp. but my
OCD will not allow that :)  Any help in what I should call this olive
would be appreciated.

Mike