From:
Sarah Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:36:20 EST
Dear Lenny:
        Standard reports there being two E. eburneums.. one from western atlantic
being a valid species and one that is a nude name from the indo pacific
region. The shell is similar to E. rupicola in coloration and in sculpture is
similar to E. occidentale, but the ribs are a great deal thicker and larger.
The tag reports it was dredged off Cedar Key Fl. It has between 13 and 16 ribs
on each whorl---about seven whorls. Its about 25mm in length. Looking through
ID's this morning I am wondering if in fact it really is an occidentale
because coloration alone really can't determine the species.
        I have a speciman of both O. australis and E. lamallosum and there are no
similarities. IN fact O. australis looks a great deal like lamallosum (or is
that what you were trying to tell me *Grin*)
        I have the sinking feeling that I am going to have to brave the lions den at
my best friends house and get a picture of it scanned in order to get a
positive ID. Thanks for your time and help.

Sarah Watson