From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:49:17 -0500
In reference to John's list of mystery localities, I don't have much
in the way of definitive answers, but here are a few suggestions:

(Irt)illa,?Utila Honduras . . . There is a Utila Island off the coast
of Honduras.

Amur ?China/Russia . . . The Amur River is in eastern Russia - could
this specimen be a fresh water species?

Balar, Luzon, P.I. . . . Perhaps Baler, a coastal town in eastern
Luzon - also Baler Bay, in the same location

Banel, Quiz? . . . Never heard of Banel, but could "Quiz" be "Quez",
possibly a reference to Quezon, a district of Luzon in the
Philippines?

Busuguran Is. . . . Busuanga Island, Philippines?  Closest I can
come.

Canara . . . perhaps Canar, a province in Ecuador?

Cyo I., P.I. . . . probably the Cuyo Islands, in the northern Sulu
Sea, Philippines.  Also, one of the Cuyo Islands is named Cuyo
Island.

Lemma Island . . .  maybe Lamma Island, Hong Kong?

McCallister, Indian Territory . . . perhaps McAlester, Oklahoma?

New Hibernia ?N. Ireland, PNG . . . Don't know about New Hibernia,
but Hibernia is the Latin name for Ireland.

Rapaa Sandwich I. ?Efate . . . Rapa is an island in Polynesia, S.W.
of Tahiti.  The Sandwich Islands however are an old name for the
Hawaiian Islands.

Samsun, Israel ?Turkey . . . Samsun is a city in northern Turkey, on
the Black Sea

Spiza, Dalmatia . . . nothing on Spiza, but Dalmatia was a region of
Yugoslavia, on the Adriatic Sea

Tyre Lepanto/Sawak/Tirac P.I. Ukami, SE Africa . . . is this all one
location??  Tyre was a Phoenician city located in what is now
southern Lebanon;  Lepanto is a former name for the Gulf of Corinth,
in Greece.