From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:33:54 -0500
Hello!

Hi to all,

Just got back from aweeks trip to Calif. and read my hundred+ e-mails.

An opinion and comment;

We visited Pismo (always do when we go to Vandenberg AFB). A huge sign
next to a huge concrete rendition of the "Pismo Clam" reads sort of as
follows;

"IT IS ILLEGAL TO COLLECT CLAMS" (in BIG letters, red), below this in
fine print is the following; "Unless you have a fishing license, collect
clams above 4", and collect between xxx AM and yyy PM."

It is really NOT ILLEGAL, if you follow the simple rules of the fine
print.

The sign is as misleading as an insurance policy or some of the posts we
have on the list server.

This collecting restricting stuff, conservation, environmentalism etc
etc is strictly a matter of ATTITUDE (crappy at that). The first thing
you "feel" about Calif. at least,  is the attitude that it is ILLEGAL to
do anything, as indicated by the clam sign. The first thing any
law/regulation states is "IT IS ILLEGAL to .... "   Laws are enacted in
two ways: aimed at known criminal actions and persons OR aimed at honest
folk (just to keep them honest, I suppose). California leaves me in
doubt.

--
Later,

Emilio Jorge Power