From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:41:12 -0500
>Can anyone tell me who  Chicoreus celinamarumai, Kosuge  1980. is named
after?

>Martin Tremor
>St. Petersburg, FL

Martin and Dawn and all,

Having nothing else to do but work on a mountain of tasks for the March
American Conchologist, or go up against a twin peak of correspondence with
friends whom I owe notes, or maybe clean up the Augean stables I call an
office,  I took up the question of the Chicoreus celinamarumai.   And I did
find the answer to the question of  whom this prettiest of little murexes
is named for!  But in the process, I found another question.  Maybe some
taxonomic guru on the list, like Gary Rosenberg or Harry Lee, or a murex
head like Dr. Tom Watters  or John Wolff can straighten us /me out.

The shell is named for Ms. Celina S. Galindes of Cebu and Mr. Masaji Maruma
Suzuki of Tokyo.  Miss Celina S. Galindes was (is she still?) the manager
of Marcelina Worldwide Export in Cebu.   She assisted Kosuge in collecting
material in the Cebu area.  Mr. Suzuki (and Victor Dan) donated the
material described in this particular paper (P. "cerinamarumai" and two
other Murex species.  Presumably Mr. Suzuki donated his namesake shell.).

I checked Kosuge's original description of the shell in the Bulletin of the
Institute of Malacology, Tokyo 1(4): 53-54 (31 Jul 1980).  Kosuge described
it as Pterynotus cerinamarumai, not "celinamarumai"  although he plainly
said that he named the shell for "Celina."   I assume this could be a
misprint or typo due to difficulties in pronouncing the letter "L."   "L"
is a notorious toughie to say if you aren't used to it.

So then I checked the Compendium, which listed the shell as a variant of
Pterynotus orchidiflorus (Shikama, 1973).  Tucker Abbott spelled his entry
in agreement with the misprint, "cerinamarumai."   Abbott's standard
Catalog was too early to list it.

So next I checked Shells of the Philippines by Springsteen and Leobrera.
He uses "celinamarumai" and notes that it is (nom. emend.) which would seem
to indicate that it was necessary to change the name to correct the
misprint.  But I have no information on where or when this was done.   S. &
L. have it  "Close to orchidiflorus, but has finer sculpturing, and a
different varical-blade structure; possibly a subspecies or a local ecomorph."

And an unpublished listing of current generic assignments by Dr. Emily H.
Vokes, places the troublesome little beauty, spelled "celinamarumai" in
Chicoreus (Chicopinnatus) and says it is a synonym of  C. (C.) orchidiflorus.

My question is, how  is a misprint of this sort corrected.  I thought that
once it was published, that was it, and I would have expected Ms. Galindes'
namesake to go down in malacological history as Cerinda.  Can anyone change
it by pointing out the error, or must  the author petition for a change?
Darned confusing.  Have at!

Lynn Scheu