From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:13:55 -1100
Hi All,

There is a very interesting writeup in this month's Internet HSN
detailing the collection of several conus adamsonii near Aitutaki,
in the south Cook Islands.  The article states that even though
the territory varied from small gravel/rubble to shallow sand
channels, the depth at which they were found was consistently
near 60 feet, never much more or less.  Is this typical of other
adamsonii localities, or does the collecting depth for this species
vary from place to place?  RK&K lists the habitat as "Intertidal
to 60 m," so it certainly sounds quite variable.  I have read
stories of this species being collected intertidally, but only in
the wake of a major storm or cyclone.  I'm sure there are several
Conch-L'ers who have collected this species alive, and others
who have specimens with fairly exact collection data.  I would
appreciate hearing from either group.  Collecting stories may be
of interest to several on the list, but if you are forwarding data
on your specimens, please just send it directly to me off the list:

I must admit that it intrigues me that a species would be found
in such a narrow depth range.  It's not the first time I've seen
this, however.  I've seen vexillum stainforthi advertised for sale,
with the collection data showing Okinawa, 120 feet on sand.  In
Samoa, they are found on fairly coarse sand slopes, from 60 to
65 feet deep.  Not 55 feet or 70 feet!  You can watch your depth
gauge as you descend, and when it reads 60, you will see the
stainforthis.  The depth has been consistent for every place in
Samoa that I've found them.  The adults as well as the juveniles
seem to occupy this same narrow range.

Below 70 feet, the same areas may have a stray cypraea mappa
or a herd of conus quercinus.  Above 60 feet, maybe a cypraea
talpa out for a stroll, and hundreds (if not thousands) of juvenile
vexillum sanguisugum.  You never find an adult sanguisugum in
these areas, but a few hundred meters away in shallow water
(5 to 15 feet) you may find scattered adults.  Apparently they
move into shallower water as they mature, unlike the stainforthis.

Are there other species that are restricted to specific depths,
even when the habitat appears to be substantially the same
above and below their habitation zones?

Thanks,

Don