From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:41:26 -1100
Yep, it was a herd of conus quercinus, not a cluster or gang,
or even a pack.  They were all moseying toward deeper water
on the sandy, flat bottom of a tidal channel about a hundred
meters wide.  They were spread out about two meters apart,
all heading east, in a herd of between 25 and several hundred.
(I didn't try to see how far across the flat they were distributed,
I was above them looking for the stainforthis.)  Though I am
sure there must be others, conus quercinus is the only cone
that I know of, specifically, that is found in deep water for part
of the year and shallow water for part of the year.  There were
dozens in ankle-deep water on the northwest side of Kenutu
Island, Vava'u, Tonga, in January of 1997.  Two months later
they had all vanished.  They have been in shallow water in
Samoa recently, but should be heading for deeper water soon.
All the lambis species in Samoa (scorpio, truncata, crocata)
also migrate into shallow water for several months of the year.

Don