From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:52:44 +0000
>Hi David,
>
>Thanks for responding. I'm unclear as to what you mean by "innerside of
>mouth". Are you referring to the lip (labial) itself, to the inside of the
>aperture, or the inner lip (parietal wall)? Also, what does the posterior
>siphonal canal look like in V. tyleri? Is it long as in cancellata, short and
>recurved as in crispata, or different from both?
>
>Thanks,
>Ken Zentzis
>Wichita, Kansas
>
>David Monsecour wrote:
>>
>> Dear Ken,
>>
>> There is a third species in this genus: V. tyleri. If those four shells
>> have a smooth innerside of the mouth, you will be a very lucky boy (I have
>> been looking for tyleri for more than 3 years now, and never managed to
>> get hold of one, although I have been through hundreds of crispata and
>> cancellata to check whether a single tyleri would have slipped in).
>> Very interested to see one of these four.
>>
>> I hope this helps you out,
>>
>> David

Hello everybody,

yes, there are at least three. In older literature there are 4. Tyleri is
the most difficult to get. The other one I never saw is speciosa H. & A.
Adams.

Tryon (1885):

"Shell reticulated, more lanceolate than R. cancellata, not ending
atneriorly in a recurved beak, with the varix of the outer lip plain
externally, and with the posterior canal of the aperture faintly devloped
and only extending as far as the penultimate whorl. Length, 1 inch.
Hab unknown. Unfigured. Is it R. crispata ?  "

For tyleri H. & A. Adams,

he writes:

"Cancellated, posterior canal extending to the third whorl and curved,
outer lip corrugately plicate within, with an anterior, conspicuous, sharp
tooth; yellowish with four chestnut bands. Length, 21 mill. Unfigured.
China Sea"

Guido

Guido

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.

http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/