From:
Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:48:38 PST
Dear Mel,

The Seychelles is an exhalent taste and in my opinion it's one of the
last paradises on Earth, not only for it's natural beauty but for the
kindness of  it's  people. Just imagine islands set in turquoise
lagoons, snow white beaches fringed with palm trees and protected by
coral reefs, whilst the deep blue ocean hides vertiginous depths. Yes,
the Seychelles will capture your hart for life, even in your case, that
you ve be to quite a lot of fantastic places :-).
Starting with Mahi, the capital island and one of the more developed
(developed but not much), you have the capital Victoria (considered by
some one of the smallest cites in the world) were no much happens. There
is a small market were you can by fish, tropical fruit, crafts and not
much more. In the centre of town, you have a replica of Big Ben (curious
sight :-) ), where near it are several people selling shells and crafts
on one of the side of the road. Here you will probably find and old lady
shelling all kinds of shells, you might even find American shells to.
This has one explanation, here son, a Sheller over he's 404s is the
biggest collector on the island. I personally met this man but didn't
have the opportunity to se his huge collection. From his words, he has
been shelling for years and said he is still diving to collect his
shells (sometimes diving to depths of 60 metres). He said to, that he
help Mr. Tucker with the compendium, by offering for inspection shells
of his personal collection  . Prepare a bag of triad shells to tack with
you on vacations once he will surly exchange with you. From what I can
recall he is extremely interested in Cones, Cypraeas and Volutes and at
that time he was looking for Conus vicweei, one of the few Cones he
still didn't have. I can't seem to find his address at the moment, but
will send it if I find it. Any way you just have to ask for him at the
Museum or to his mother. One the other side of the road you have a small
museum (free of charge at the time) where you will be able to see a
wonderful shell collection (donated by this Sheller) with lots of
rarities and surly some unofficial world size records. In town you have
a nice restaurant/bar (the only one at that moment), for your ends of
evening named "The place to see and bee seen", . The name of this
restaurant/bar gives you the real idea of what the Seychelles are. It's
a marvels place to refresh your thrust and list to Cherokee singers.
Well, going directly to shell sights here goes:

Mahi Island:

Beau Vallon Bay (Nort-West): the most touristic place in the Seychelles
but still very unspoiled. In the intertidal zone (rocky area one the
right of Coral Strand Hotel) you will start realising the shellers
paradise that the Seychelles really are. You will be able to find lot's
of Nerites, L. scabra, L. pintado, C. moneta, C. annulus, sometimes C.
helvola, Hastula hectica (among sand), Peristerina and Bursa speceis,
Strombus mutabilis and lot's more; if you are lucky with the tides lot's
of shell grit for the micros. If you decide to snorkel in the shallow
reef and sea grass areas you will be able to find some Cone & Oliva
speceis, Pleuroploca trapezium, and others. OH, don't forget to tack a
look in the sandy areas in the bay, there you will find loads of
Tec-Tec, local name for Donax shells, which, like in Mauritius, locals
are use them for soop.

Anse Htoile: (Noth-East): Very few tourists go to this beach since rocks
and coral heads pope out at low tide, thus unsuitable for swimming.
Here, you will be able to collect different Nerites, including
Neritopsis radula; if you come across this specie I would appreciate
some to add to my collection and give one to Sheller friend Jr. Powers,
since I only brought back home, one specimen. You will also find a lot
of Drups, Morulas, Cronias, Thais and Mancinella tuberosa specimens.
Under rocks you my find Cypraea, like C. felina, C. ziczac and others.
The Cones I collected here were basically one specie C. miles, with an
incredible pattern.

Anse ` la Mouche (South-East): A beautiful bay that during low tide a
large extension of sand and sea grass is exposed. Lot's of Nassaridae,
Naticas and Bivalves (Pinas to). If you snorkel in the shallow water
lots of Cone species among seagrass. One the left side of the bay you
will probably find a population of Strombus gibberulus (be patient,
sometimes it tacks a while to find it). Exhalent pizzeria just across
the road :-).

Anse Takamaka (South-West): One of my favourite snorkelling spots with a
magnificent sandy beach, with rocky areas on both sides and a
spectacular coral reef full of incredible sea life. On the intertidal
rocks you will fin once again Nerites especially large N. textilis,
Littorinas and Monodonta labio (big ones to). In the sandy areas during
low tide or snorkelling Terebras are also present.  When snorkelling in
the reef, or near by it, you will be able to spot large populations (I
mean, really large) of Turbo argyrostomus, Tectus and Trochus speceis,
loads of Vasum turbinellus and lot's of Pleuroploca filamentosa. I also
found 9 different Cone speceis one left side of Bay just before the
coral reef: C. miliaris, C. catus (orange and grey ones), C. coronatus,
C. rattus, C. pravatus, C. sponsalis, C. glans, C ebraeus and C.
chaldeus. Concerning Cypaeas, besieges local common ones I found a C.
mappa, but since it had a crack on the tope, I left the animal to breed.

Anse Bougainvile (South-East): A big rocky bay to look under stones and
rocks for our precious treasures. Here you will be able to find lot's of
different shells from Cerithidae to Cones to Phasianellidae   Didn't
snorkel here since the ocean was to ruff once it was monsoon season.

Mahi offers you lot's of interesting calm bays for shelling, you just
have to pick your favourite (Police Bay, Anse Mane-Lousie and Anse Aux
Pins are also very interesting)

The Island Of St. Anne (Marine National Park), is worthy to see, here
you may hire a glass bottom boat to sea the beautiful reef. One the
Island Shelling is forbidden, but one can appreciate to, other things in
life besides them ... Here you will be able to se a Huge land Turtle the
mascot of the Island and personally meat the owners of this private
island.

La Digue Island: I think there is no other place on earth like here.
With only 2000 habitants and no cares (at least at that moment)
travelling in this small island is maid by foot, bicycle or taxi ox. You
can higher for a couple of days a small cottage,  just a couple of
passes from the beach. Breakfast, Lunch, and  Dinner are home maid with
fresh fish, fruit and vegetables. No comments on the fantastic Sun set.
In la Digue you can contact local  fishermen to get you some of the
shells on the other side of the reef, quite interesting shells appear.
In Anse La Riunion you will find a Sheller's paradise with all sort of
shells in the tidal zone. When snorkelling in the shallow reef big C.
leopardus and Strombus lentiginosus are spotted quit frequently. La
Digue is a lovely place to rest, appreciate nature, life and old
traditions and storeis.  Normally around October lot's of baby Tiger
sharks come to eat in the shallows, a good time to dive in with them and
feel like the dominant specie in water &#61514;. There are also lot's of
giant turtles on the Island and they simply love being cuddled under
there neck. Birds and endemic lizards are a common sight to.

There are plenty of other Islands in the Seychelles worthy to see, here
are some accessible ones: Praslin, good for Terebras and has spectacular
tropical forests with endemic palm trees over 900 years old, Conception,
Therese, Bird Island (Nle Aride), thousands of Bird speceis, Marianne
and Filiciti (small islands off La Digue), and so on and so on.
One last thing, don't forget to drink a liqueur named Coco D4Amore and
eat Salad de Millionaire and then tell me about it, oK :-).

Hope you and the rest of the list enjoyed some of my experiences. Enjoy
your self a "bunch" and then come back to tell us all bout it. Any more
information you need I will happy to help. Tack care.

Kind regards,
Carlos (Portugal)

P.S - Spectrum Guide to Seychelles, compiled and edited by Camerapix
1991 and Seychelles in Your Pocket (yearly ed.). the first one you may
get it true Book Passage - 51 Tamal Vista Boulevard - Corte Madeira, CA
94925 (E-mail: [log in to unmask]) and the second mail to: Le
Guide Del Leone Viola Explorer - System Bank s.r.l. - Viale Sondrio, 5 -
20124 Milano - Italy