From:
makuabob <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:47:43 -0500
Would someone have the CITES info at hand about what the status
of the Hawaiian Charonia tritonis is?

Perhaps I missed something, but I haven't heard that the American
Triton's trumpet is on the CITES list.

If it's illegal to bring in a Triton's trumpet, then this could become
like the Bald eagle feather conundrum -- i.e., it is illegal to
possess, at all, ANY feather from a Bald eagle... even if you
video-tape it falling to the ground from a passing bird and video-
tape yourself walking over to pick it up. The law says "No, no! Can't
have that."
(Except maybe for citizens of some American Indian nations.)

So do those of us who might (I mean MIGHT, as in maybe I don't and
maybe I might) have one of these endemic Triton's trumpets have to
hide them or something.

Or is it like the Green snail thing where you can transport them
personally but there are restrictions on their sale or donation?

Or none of the above?

Aloha,

makuabob (a.k.a. Bob Dayle)