From:
Mary Cecile Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:20:20 EST
I recall a wonderful , very small museum in Puerto Rico at Las Cabezas de San
Juan, in Fajardo, which had a room devoted to the marine life of the place.
In the center of the small room was a large tank with living creatures of all
kinds (well, smallish kinds anyway) and one wall had cabinets with drawers of
specimens that visitors could open.  The specimens were clearly identified
with labels and mounted, but protected under a glass cover on the drawer.
There were other larger kinds of specimens on the counter for handling.  My
children and I were all fascinated by this room.  We were able to identify
everything we had just seen alive on a walk along the rocky shore outside.
This didn't seem like an expensive installation, but it was highly effective.
I think children crave interaction with the real world, not with buttons and
videos, and collecting things gives them a sense of interaction that has
lasting meaning for them.

Mary Graham in New Hampshire