From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:47:37 -0700
Thanks to David, Aaron and Art for their insights.  On my lunch hour I took a
surf through the Conch-Net and read Gary Rosenburg's articles on shell names
(Navigating Libraries and What's the good name).  Those articles are
eye-operners all right.  Obviously the answers take long research and access to
much published material.  I thought fossil taxonomy was a "dog's breakfast" but
molluscs seem to be a challenge in their own right.  I don't think I'm such a
purist that I will pursue the answers to the nth degree.  I'm a picky person at
heart and like everything to be in it's proper place, but I think I'll try and
relax a little and not get too concerned about name vagaries.  After all, a
shell is just as beautiful by any of it's myriad names.
Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA