From:
"Cadee M.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:57:55 +0100
> ----------

      Any author can make his (or her) own genera and species, and the work
that is published is the opinion of that author. Later (other) authors can
agree with him or put the new species  or genera in the synonimy. As a
matter of fact that is the international committee that "decides" wether a
new species is truly new, or a jounger synonime of an already described
species.
The description has to  be valid, that is: there is a holotype designated
and in the description there are differences with other species indicated.
I don't thik it will work with an international institute that decides  a
new species to be really new, how to find people that knows enough about the
specific group of the new species?
This work is now done by the editors of the journals that will publish the
new species. They sent the manuscript to one or two referee's and they will
advise the editor to publish or to reject the publication. I think this
system does work not to bad.
Therefore publication of new species on Internet must be rejected, there are
no referees nor an editor for critically reading of the manuscript.

Martin Cadee, the Netherlands