From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:03:48 -0800
Hi all,

I just thought I'd stir things up a bit -- seems like we're getting awful
lethargic lately. I've read several comments from people saying that shells
are not a good investment. Here are my views:

While a rare shell, let's say a Glory of the Seas cone, will undoubtably
drop in value as more are discovered, the inverse is true for species that
are either much harder to find today than they once were or are nearly
impossible to get because they exist only in protected areas which I know
we all respect.

Here's an example: Back in the 1970s, I had two huge boxes full of native
Florida cowries (Cypraea cervus and zebra). At most I had taken one out of
maybe every 100 I had found (yes, they were that common). Shell shops in
the Keys were selling C. zebra for $2 (as recently as a few years ago).
What are you paying these days for a nice, big C. cervus? I saw a big one
recently going for $350! And I have heard of them selling for much more
than that. I personally bought two C. zebra for $7 each at a shell shop
because I no longer have my old collection (that's another story for
another time).

Once you could find Cassis madagascariensis on the sand flats right out in
Biscayne Bay off Miami -- big, gorgeous ones! Shell shops now ask a small
fortune for specimens of that quality (I know, I just tried to buy one and
couldn't afford it!).

I used to own some of the giant "bailer" volutes that I had bought for $20
in the 1970s. Perfect lips. How much for a really big Melo umbilicatus
today with a perfect lip?

Considering how much pleasure my new collection has already brought me, I
have to say it was a great investment in terms of relaxation (I'm sure my
blood pressure actually drops down to safe levels when I'm cleaning a
Pecten or cataloging my murex specimens). In dollar value? Some shells will
be worth more a decade from now, others less. The same can be said about
stocks. I knew a gentleman who thought he had a gold mine when he owned a
ton of Polaroid stock. Then video cameras came along and his stock was
nearly worthless.

I recently told someone that I would never sell a shell. The reason is
simple: I don't want to look at a Junonia and think "$20" because then it's
a commodity. I'd much rather trade with individuals who don't set prices on
their specimens or mine. On the other hand, there are many dealers that I
am exceedingly grateful for since it's very likely that I will never get to
the Philippines to collect a Chicoreus palmarosae or a Cypraea aurantium.
On top of that, these are some genuinely nice people that I would love to
one day call my friends (you guys know who you are!).

To predict what any item (a Beanie baby, for example) will sell for in
twenty or thirty years is darn near impossible. How many would have guessed
that when they bought a Gibson Les Paul guitar with a flamed maple top in
1960 that within 30 years their $400 investment would be worth $40,000 or
more?

To me, placing a value on my small collection (though it's getting bigger
thanks to many of you) would be a waste of time. 25 years from now, I might
have to decide how much it's worth (particularly if the Social Security
system fails, as it just might in my lifetime).

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw this out for discussion (or not).

Once again, it is a real pleasure to be a part of this group!

Best regards all!

Jim Miller
Tallahassee, Florida