From:
Ken Zentzis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:25:39 -0600
Hi James,

Still too cold for landsnails up there, huh? Well, the fossils don't care
about the temp! Sounds like you found a few Brachiopods, alright. I know there
are alot of Ordovician deposits there, and from my fossiling experiences in
Minnesota, there's slight ring of familiarity in what you've found. Hard to
identify with scant descriptions, but here's a start. I'm probably wrong(since
the faunas may be different), but here's what I've found in my collecting
approximating your finds:

James M Cheshire wrote:

> Dear all, I have recently been doing some fossiling up here in
> Columbus, Ohio...

> Cockel shaped, about 1/2" long,
> with deep grooves running vertically up the shell.

Could be one of the many Rhynchotrema or Lepidocyclus spp. Also I've found a
similar, but smaller "brach" called Zygospira.

> I also found a little pecten in between two tree roots. Here is its
> discription:

> Wings equal, with fine vertical lines running up shell, about 1/2" long.
> Reddish brown.

Likely to be one of the Strophomenid brachiopods...many genera...Strophomena,
Rafinesquina, Platystrophia. Some of these get a bit larger than your shells.
I had some Strophomena up to 2" or so.

> My uncle has a scanner; I will try and scan these, but since we are going
> back down to Florida in two days and my uncle lives in Ohio, I may not be
> able to.

You may want to try and find an ID guide for the area. Often these are readily
available from an area museum or university. Perhaps someone on our list can
refer you to a pertinent guide.

> Thanks,
> James

Ken Zentzis