From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:53:41 -0700
Hi Andrew,

Joe here (on Nora's E-mail).
        We both enjoyed your comments on cephalopods. This class
emphasizes the necessity for an understanding of fossil evidence to
understand extant species and their physical adaptions.

        I found your explanation for the evolution of the argonaut egg
case very interesting. Your use of other fauna groups to emphasize
parallel behaviors was revealing.

    So much cephalopod speculation is based on a very questionable
evolutionary relationships. I am still not comfortable with most
evolutionary lines of cephalopods as they have been defined by
paleontologists. Too much speculation and too many ages being covered. I
haven't 'studied' cephalopods but I have studied paleozoic corals
(Carboniferous & Permian) and even in this 'shorter' period there is
rapid evolution along various tangents, etc. No consensus as to
relationships, etc.  When a whole Class is taken from Cambrian to modern
with numerous offshoots, incomplete fossil records, etc. , then it is
all like a House of Cards. Most Paleozoic coral  researchers do not even
put Paleozoic and recent corals in the same phylum. Too many 'stretches'
of imagination to relate them together other than the name 'coral'.....
Yes, cephalopods are probably all related but the evolutionary lines are
'iffy' and 'iffier'.

        Returning to the Argonaut. I have no better explanation of the
ammonite-like egg case than the excellent one you propose.. It is hard
to understand, however, how it evolved. What were the intermediate
stages to produce an ammonite-looking case? And if the argonaut
propagated quite well before this 'shape' evolved (it would have taken
time), why did the egg case  keep evolving to this shape? Why not some
other equally functional shape? Some paleontologists see Octopoids as an
early offshoot of ammonoids, perhaps there was some vestigal protoconch
that had the ability to undergo relatively quick evolution. Why the
ammonite shape? To really speculate, I think it may have been to do with
Ammonites being nasty predators. The eggcase may have been a visual
deterent to some smaller predators who did not want to mess with an
ammonite.

            We have about 400 species of fossil cephalopods in our
collection. Most have 'names', wheras many, like some of our
Carboniferous  nautiloids, are unstudied fauna.If there are many
unanswered qestions about extant species, then trying to find
relationships between extinct species is a real stretch. But maybe this
is what makes paleontology so much fun; lots of speculation without ever
being proved right or wrong.

            As for 'giant' ammonites. There are a few specimens in the
Jurassic here in Alberta that approach the 6 foot size in diameter. They
have not been collected as they are in matrix at remote sites.  Now we
will have to find one over 8 feet.  I do believe, however, that some
straight 'Cones' were much larger; I will try and find a reference.

            Well, back to work on my corals and brachiopods. I can at
least pretend to be more authorative on these.

                                                    Best Regards,
                                                    Joseph, Calgary