From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:26:26 -0600
Thanks Tom, Sarah, Peter and Bob,
You've convinced me.  They are juvenile Strombs.  I don't know what I was
thinking when I typed 25cm as the size.  That would be enormous.  Sorry to
mislead you Sarah. Too much easter chocolate I think.  The two small ones are
about 70mm.  Following Peter's criteria,  mine are also are strongly
"corded" at the top of the columella, and a very pale, almost unnoticeable
pink.  The larger one is about 130 mm,  and the columella is a much darker
pink.  In the case of the larger one the lip may have been filed ( I got it
in a box of unlabelled shells a long time ago, and the smaller ones are from
Florida).  The spire is greater than one third of the height of the shell and
has prominent knobs similar, but not quite as long as an adult Strombus
gigas.  The exterior of the body whorl is also "corded", more so in the small
specimens.  So, I think juvenile Strombus gigas they are (not very "gigas"
yet though).  Thanks again, this one had me baffled, but the question that
was asked about the juvenile Tridacna got me thinking on this tangent, so
whoever asked that question, thank you too.