From:
Peter Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:20:39 -0400
Richard,  In order to check bottom and avoid setting your net in substrates
you have found unproductive you might try a large lead weight with a hole
drilled in the end that has been filled with petroleum jelly or some other
sticky substance.  I know that the big sailing ships used to use this
technique for navigation in shallow water using a line with knot in it each
fathom.  Anyway, it would be easy to experiment in shallow water to see what
sticky substance works best and what it looks like after touching different
substrates.  Hope this helps.
Good Luck and let us all know  the results of your next attempts.

Beth DeHaas
Whitefield, Maine