From:
"Frank S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:50:58 EDT
Dear Emilio,

Don't think you would see the effect on dealers lists for at least six
months. As an expensive shell you don't move that many and since it just
happened, most dealers lists would not reflect something that just happened.
As my friend pointed out there will always be the odd shell that some
Australian dealer has in a drawer and the ones that come from old
collections. Look what happened to several of the other Zoila when the W.
Australia Fisheries closed down certain areas from trawling last year. The
prices on those shell (jeanianna, and a few others) have slowly gone up. I'm
sure when the fish population (they don't close areas for shells, yet)
returns then the trawlers will follow and these shells will be more plentiful
again. I'm one of those who does not believe there is such a thing as a rare
shell. We just haven't discovered the habitant, or found a way to
economically collect them.

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://surf.to/seagems
We accept ALL major credit cards!