From:
Whitney Rapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 12:16:13 -0500
I am currently conducting research on possible uses of the byssal threads
of the blue mussel (Mytilus edulis) since they are often removed during
processing for human consumption.

I am interested in any ideas that members of this listserv may have
regarding possible uses.  For instance, byssal threads of other mollusks
have been used to make a fiber suitable for making fabric.

Also, I am interested in comparing byssal threads of the blue mussel to
other mollusks.  If you have access to live mollusks and can remove
byssal threads, I would be very interested in acquiring them.  In
particular, I am interested in the byssal threads of the noble pen shell.

Thank you,

Whitney Rapp