From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:21:30 -0400
Dear Drew,

I mentioned Microphysula ingersolli (note spelling) as one of Kurt
Auffenberg's "Bland" mollusks a while back (New Years Eve; Conch-L).

I couldn't find an obit in the Nautilus - nor was there an entry in the
various works published by American Malacologists.

Thomas Bland (1874) named the snail in honor of "Mr. Ernest Ingersoll,
naturalist of the United Sates Geological Survey of the Territories, under
Professor Hayden."

I'll wager you can learn a lot more of him by probing the USGS; they are a
very history-oriented organization. (It's sorta their job, after all).

Harry

At 01:16 PM 4/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Conch-L
>A small land snail occurs here called Microphysula ingersoli. Who is this
>person? Thank you-Drew Skinner
Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm