From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:24:24 -0400
Hi Helen, and all,

I am so sorry you had difficulties. I honestly don't think there is any
ploy to rent the more expensive rooms first. These $89 rooms are not just
rooms but suites which normally go for a lot more than the rooms that are
$79 per night.  (And all of these rates are convention rates, not the
normal hotel rates. So when you call, be SURE to tell them you are with the
COA Convention.) The $89 room is a suite with a separate large living room
in addition to a bedroom for only $10 more a night. There are also a lot
fewer of these $89 suites than there are of the  $79 rooms.

But if I were you and still unhappy about the $89 room, I'd call them and
tell them to change it.

I relayed your problem to Gene and he is back on the phone with them as I
speak, reporting the problem.  I included what Gene learned yesterday in my
note:

>> From the night of Saturday  the 26th of
>> June, which is the night before the convention starts, through Thursday
>> night, July 1, there are plenty of $79 rooms, and all the other room
>> sizes/prices are available in plentiful supply.  There is no problem with
>> room supply.   The only place a confusion may have arisen  when your
>> daughter called, Sylvia, is that there is a large Baptist convention the
>> week before our convention.  It ends on Friday, June 25th when every
>> non-shell-collecting Baptist leaves for home.  That earlier week (Sunday
>> June 19 - Friday June 25), the hotel is indeed full to the bursting point.
>> But on Saturday June 26, there is NO waiting list whatsoever.

I have not heard the results of his call this morning...he is probably
still on the phone.

I encourage anyone who has had any problem whatsoever making hotel
reservations at the Galt House to please email me *****PRIVATELY*******  at
<[log in to unmask]> about the matter. Otherwise,if there are others of
you, some of our list members who are not going to the convention are going
to get rather tired of the subject. I promise that I will keep the list
informed of any developments regarding the hotel.

Also, will those of you in shell clubs please relay the message to your
members, if possible, that there are PLENTY of rooms of all description at
the Galt House.  We don't want anyone to have to be disappointed and stay
off site or not come to Louisville because of a mix-up. Almost every year
that I can remember, something of this sort crops up concerning the
convention hotel. And it is usually a mix-up at the reservations desk.
There is no other major convention that I know of in town that week so
rooms should not be a problem anywhere.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY, Home of the 1999 COA Convention, where Kim Hutsell will be
measuring shells for inclusion in the next edition of ***World Record Size
Shells.***