From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 23:08:53 -0400
Helen, Sylvia and interested Conch-L members,

        The latest word from our convention chairman, Gene Everson, indicates that
part of the information Syvia's daughter got from the Galt House is
correct.  It seems that there are indeed no $79 rooms left at this time,
and that they sold out very rapidly after the hotel registration forms went
out in the December American Conchologist. We are as sorry as we can be
about this shortage but, this late in the game (just two months from
yesterday!), it is good that we do have reasonable rooms available.  As to
why we were told yesterday that there were plenty of $79 rooms left, that
remains to be fully investigated.
        There are plenty of "Executive Suites" at $89 for 2 registered guests
(convention rate) available though, rooms which normally rent for $140 per
night. And I really recommend them over the $79 room anyway, having that
nice big living room, two double beds. and a refrigerator too.
        Our main contact at the hotel, Lora Lee Ion, feels certain that some $79
rooms will become available in early  June (see last paragraph below.).
Lora Lee recommends that anyone who absolutely wants a $79 room follow this
procedure:
*First, ask for a $79 room. (Be sure to tell them you are with the COA
Convention.)
*Then, if they tell you there are none, ask to be put on the waiting list
for a $79 room.
*Next, make a reservation for the $89 room to be sure you are covered and
have a room for the convention.  I am not clear yet on how you will be
notified if the cheaper room comes up, but will find out more and let you
know when I know. Presumably (hopefully) it will be automatic if you are on
the waiting list.
        There is a limited supply of two bedroom suites available too in the East
Tower. At $295 a night base. Before you howl at me and moan, let me
explain. Each suite has two bedrooms with two double beds, two bathrooms, a
wet bar and refrigerator, and a living room that is immense, palatial, and
three couches, chairs,  dining set, and a balcony over the river,
etc...etc...That works out to be pretty cheap per person. Our Conch-L Party
is going to be held in one of them and the Hospitality Suite will be held
in another.
        There are also some much more plush one bedroom suites called Parlor
Suites or River Suites (as opposed to Executive Suites) which have
balconies and are lovely, I hear, and in the West Tower where the
convention rooms are located. They are $150 per night.  I have not seen one
of those either.  I think there are a few other options as well.
        Also, if you are still looking for a roommate, Gene Everson is handling
that. Get in touch with him at 502/429-5788.  If at first you don't succeed
in reaching him, keep trying. It is Kentucky Derby week here and everyone
is very busy. It is not far off from being as festive a week as Mardi Gras
is in New Orleans.

Oh.. I should tell you something I just heard of for the first time (the
things you learn, hosting a convention!)  that the block of rooms reserved
for us will expire on June 7. After that, any unreserved rooms are
available to the first comers. This is some sort of standard procedure to
protect the hotel against unsold rooms. So if you are working on your
decision, don't wait to make reservations past that date.

See you in June,
Lynn Scheu
Louisville KY, Home of the Silent Auction to End all Silent Auctions!  Only
58 more days! Beautiful Pectens galore! Cowries by the bazillion! You
should see those Latiaxis! And, oh my! the cones!