From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:30:03 -0600
Joe Here. Thanks for the update on Mosasaur bite marks. Some friends and I were
recently in Southeast Alberta. Found many ammonites (Placenticeras). I had an
eye out for 'bite' marks but no evidence.

      Interesting re comment on 'green' bite marks on dinos. Here in Alberta we
can collect almost unlimited amounts of dino bone. Bite marks, however, are
rare. Find maybe 2 or 3 a year after turning over several hundred bone pieces.
The ones we find are usually from small raptor(small predatory dinos). Part of
the reason is that fossil bones, when freshly exposed through weathering,  will
shatter and disintegrate via frost action  if they have large fractures such as
those from Tyrannosaurid bites.

        Re mollusca predation. A couple summers ago Nora and I were collecting
non-marine fossil mollusca in a Late Cretaceous deposit (mollusca are often
found in same deposits as dino bones). Mostly viviparidae. A few unios.  I
picked up an Unio with a small oval  hole in it. I thought it there was a piece
of chert in the hole. The fossil Unio was an 'iffy' specimen so I wacked it
with my rock hammer. Out popped a raptor (Dromaeosaurus) tooth. The piece of
chert was actually a raptor tooth left behind by a dining predator.  I suppose
little raptors munched on bivalves much in the same way as a coyote will today.