From:
"Frank S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 09:02:30 EDT
As a dealer I would like to point out that values, at least for me, are not
what I want them to be, and are not determined by me, or in my opinion most
other dealers.

My suppliers or wholesalers ask so much for a shell. If I decide to pay their
price, all that has done is start the process that determines value for those
shells. Once a buyer (collector) decides to purchase the shell at the price I
offer it for, the value has been set. I was, more or less, just the middle
man. If I pay to much for the shell, I can't justify asking more, just
because I was wrong, I just have to accept less for the shell and in some
cases, just get my investment back. This is not a penalty for being a dealer.
The penalty if you want to use that term is the hours and hours that go into
carefully sellecting, grading, measuring, pricing, finding reliable contacts,
being competitive etc. You had better love this hobby, because for many of
us, I would guess if we added up all the hours and after expenses looked at
what we made it wouldn't be as much as many of you think.

Being disabled, I enjoy the people and get great satisfaction out of the
thank you's, what a beautiful shell etc. The money helps, but it's not great.

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://www.shellgems.com
We accept ALL major credit cards!