From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 15:24:55 -0400
There was no review system back then.  And ours is not fool proof.  Some
people publish via unreviewed vehicles.  Solem's Ba humbugi from Fiji was
described from a single specimen.  It had to be done.  Not only for the
name, but because the taxon represented a pretty important record of the
group for Fiji.  Other's single specimen descriptions won't be so
trustworthy, but I go back to my original thought.  Know thy creature and
all will come out alright.  If one is not willing to do a huge amount of
homework, perhaps a professional lifetime, then it's best to stay out of
the game. These names do indeed hang around forever, even when sunk into
synonomy.

By the way, I can't remember if/when this has been discussed.  What is the
most named organism????  I was told what it was and, lo and behold, it's a
mollusk....

Kurt