From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:29:40 +0000
>Dear Guido;-
>        I think you have made the qualifying statement: "If it is different
>enough!"
>        Perhaps the standard should be: "If it is found to be unlike anything
>else."
>        I think the ones we object to are species that COULD be freaks of
>something else, or should be listed as geographic "Forms", or (at the
>outside limit) Sub-species. We keep getting species described as
>diferent when, on a little reflection, they turn out to be C. dingdong
>(with a hangnail).
>        For me the problem continues to be a proliferation of descriptions for
>the same species. Paschall counted over 20 descriptions and names for E.
>lamellosum. AND THE NAMES NEVER DISAPPEAR! So eventually a dealer will
>advertise: JUST DISCOVERED! The genuine C. hangnail!!
>        Art

Yes, completely right Art. (I'm flamish, Dutch speaking, so my English is
quite poor).
I purchased ten copies from your wonderful book and gave them to nice
people here. They are gladly surprised.

Best regards, Guido

Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/go/iconography/index.html