From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 01:59:43 -0300
        Guess i did "cross the line", emboldened by the lack of flack to Mr. Lipe's brief plug, and all sorts of people telling us about things like the wonderful creations they or their webmasters are doing on and planning for their commercial sites in recent months (myself included, i confess!!).  Why don't we ALL just take a valium and swear off ALL commercial activity being promoted, encouraged or conducted on the list (as well as trading offers)- even selling things to finance important surgery, which could be done using the mailing list for Conch-l, as Paul did to great effect, and i also did, to decidedly less success (i thought if i could just get people to drop in once.... :>  ).  We have been gradually letting a LOT of stuff "slip by", and  it is detracting from what the list is supposed to be.  Certainly we can discuss the relationship between dealers and the pursuit of Conchology in general or even quite specific terms, but making plugs for specific commercial activity, even of the "experimental" sort, should be forbidden in the most absolute way, or else it will gradually return. I rest my case (honest!!), and will leave it up to everyone else to follow suit.
Respectfully yours,
Ross M.
Ross Mayhew:    Schooner Specimen Shells:    Http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com
"We Specialize in the Unusual"
Phone: (902) 876-2241     Snail Mail; P.O Box 20005, RPO Spryfield,
Halifax, N.S., Canada, B3R 2K9.
But try to find "something for Everyone"!!