From:
Rachel Moritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:17:40 -0500
I work as an exhibit developer at the Science Museum of Minnesota, where we
are currently developing an exhibit about the museum's collections. We have
a fairly large collection of marine mollusks, from various collectors over
the nearly 100 years that the museum has been in operation. To accompany
our display, I'm trying to form a story about the history of shell
collecting among scientists and naturalists in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Does anyone have any suggestions of good books or articles that might tell
this story? Or photographs anyone has seen of collectors and their shells
in the 19th or early part of the 20th century? Also, has anyone come across
some good museum exhibits about shells that look at them from this angle
(the collecting side rather than the biology side?)

Please let me know.

Rachel Moritz
Exhibit Developer
Science Museum of Minnesota