From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:11:36 -0600
I try to arrange by family and genus in drawers. (I don't have enough to put in
more order than that yet). I put them in small boxes or watchmakers cases with
cotton wool, but some shells that are more attractive get special treatment in
a glass covered display case that has tiered shelves.  They are just organized
aesthetically with their tags neatly posted in front.  And then there are
shells that are too big for the drawers.  I will eventually build some larger
drawers to hold these in family order.  Then there are the microshells.  These
are mainly stored inside coin-holders which fit neatly into pocket pages meant
for slides (I mean photographic slides).  These can go into binders.

Collections that have many examples of a shell or a fossil - perhaps more than
one "collection" can be maintained - one stratigraphic (subgrouped by
paleoassemblage), and one taxonomic.  It might take work, but in cases where
there is only one specimen - it could be photographed,the photo glued to a wood
block and placed in the collection that needed it with a cross-reference ID to
where the real specimen was located.  This shouldn't take up much more space
than is already dedicated, since most of the specimens are already in the
collection. Sounds like a job for summer students!

Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA