Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:38:16 EDT
The live shelling that is doing the damage is the commercial shelling by
fishermen. It's not an easy call, but something has to be done. They make
their living selling clams, scallops and the lot and when you limit their
take, you hit them right in the pocket book. Many of the shells that
collectors desire don't have the commercial value of these other shells, so
there is less pressure on them.

I remember many years ago asking one of my mentors "which shells do the
natives eat" after he had explained that many of the shells that are
collected are part of the food chain for the locals. He said there was only
one they didn't eat and when I asked which one, he said the egg cowrie. "Why"
I asked, and he said "They say it doesn't taste good." Ah the simplicity of
it all. The answer to many of life's questions and riddles. "It just doesn't
taste good." That is when I first started to become enlighten. Best to all.

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://www.shellgems.com
We accept ALL major credit cards!