From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:30:29 -0400
Dear All:
Fiddle heads of ferns always get me.  I've collected a few, which I thought
were snails.  One of curators (not a malacologist) here came back all
excited from New Zealand.  He told me he had a bunch of real big, real neat
snails from a waterfall area.  I had to wait days for him to unpack.  He
finally brought them in.  They were big tree fern fiddle heads, all neatly
wrapped in toilet paper, and in alcohol.  He's gotten his eyeglass
prescription updated.

How many freshwater people out there have thought they've collected a new
Superfamily of snails when they saw their first caddis fly larvae domicile?

I must say.  That pistachio shell story is going to be hard to beat.

Kurt