From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:47:42 -0400
Dear Fabio,

Your comment that Cyp. stolida has many forms with distictive coloring and
stains that are not considered full species is a good one.  It may be that
Cyp. musumea, katsue, and vicdani are all just forms (or localized
populations) of one variable species.

Consider that there are many specimens of Cyp. stolida and its forms
available for study.  Many of these have very precise collecting data.  Cyp.
musumea, katsue, and vicdani are hard to get.  I do not know if a live
animal of any of these shells has been preserved.  It  might be worthwhile,
though, to post a question on CONCH-L asking how museums and collectors with
live material can be surveyed to locate preserved material for study.   A
few curators read postings to the list and one may respond or help with
information.

If you want, I can send you digital photos of my three specimens (1 each of
musumea, katsue, and vicdani) as attachments to an e-mail.  I believe all
were live collected.

On the Cyp. thomasi issue, there is a lot published.  Guido Poppe still
feels strongly that Cyp. ostergaardi is a synonym.  Most others take the
other side.  The shells from the Marquesas Islands are mostly much smaller
than the holotype of Cyp. thomasi, but supposedly there are specimens
collected there that are larger than the specimens of Cyp. thomasi on the
market.

Your grasp of English is better than my mastery of any other language.  I
studied French in school thirty years ago, but can not use it.  Lack of
practice let it slip away...

Warm regards,

Bill