From:
"Maurizio A. PERINI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:47:57 +0200
Wednesday   August 4, 1999  10:23 PM

The old Latin words for money were :
pecunia
moneta
nummi
numisma

In the ancient Roma the tickets (a penalty) were paid
by beefs or sheeps. The latin word for sheeps is pecus
so that the first money was called pecunia.
The latin name moneta come from the name of the Goddes
" Iuno Moneta " now called Giunone. Because near the
her temple there was the Roma's mint. So that the latin word
moneta is for metal money or coin.

It's interesting to note that the Nummulites, which are fossil
Foraminifera, such as Nummulites perforatus, have a name
which means stone -coin from nummus (coin) and litos (stone),
because of their shape.

The Italian word for coin is still moneta.

Warm regards, Maurizio.
       Maurizio A. Perini
       Via Pedrazza, 9
       I - 36010 Zane (VI)