From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 23:19:39 -0400
Ross Mayhew wrote:

> Hope nobody has already posted this!  The breast-bone complex of the catfish that lives in the Gulf of Mexico may be the beastie (perhaps it evolved from a piece of the True Cross?) - it looks amazingly like a crucifix, and is often sold in curio shops in the southeren states.

Hello!

Hi Mayhew,

 It is not the "breast bone complex". It is on the inside of the head. The common saltwater catfish
lives in all of the Florida (and probably other southern states) saltwater and brackish water areas not just in the Gulf of Mexico. The bone reinforcements look like a crucifix of sorts (if you are a tourist). The other catfish (bigger) and somewhat edible is the Gafftop Sailcat.
If you boil the head you can get two pearls from the "brain" cavity. These are probably some kind of (otolith?) bone used in orientation or "which way is up" device. Lotta diversity down here! The more they sell to tourists the better darn cats always get to
your bait before the good fish do! Sailcats even hit live mullet baits when we fish for tarpon. Hate the
cats almost as much as the Fla State Univ. Seminoles!!!!

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;
"The Liguus Home Page"