From:
Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:54:59 -0700
Dear Lindsey;-
        (This is the other me)
        Good thoughts. Of course "Theory of Evolution" is a fact. It just
sounded better keeping all three words together. The only "Theories"
left are those involving how evolution works. Macro and Micro, gradual
and sudden. Are there great genetic changes (due maybe to large bursts
of Solar energy)? Would most of the harmful ones disappear leaving those
few changes that might be beneficial to a species survive: better
camoflage coloring, sharper teeth, more efficient kidneys, an opposable
thumb.?
        Through all this, I am sure we evolutionists, at one time or another,
wish we were wrong, and that creation WAS the work of a devine and
caring creator. I always picture him as looking like Charles Darwin or
Benjamin Harrison. And we call him "He" because of the ever-present
beard.
        The answer to the the great (Family) changes is the same as to the
small changes---TIME---just more of it. No, a gastropod didn't turn into
a frog or a collie. But some creature way, way back had a little of each
in him. And time did the rest.
        Time and distance are wonderful concepts to contemplate.
        May the Four Forces be with you.
        Art