From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:34:08 -0400
I have noticed the use of Whelk (Busycon spp.) shells on graves in Crawford
Georgia.  The graves are of children who died in the early 1900s.  Crawford
is not a coastal town (it is ~5 hours from the coast).  I have no idea how
or why they would be used.
Amy

>In a message dated 8/3/1999 9:25:16 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><<
> We found several conch shells in two old cemeteries of German
> immigrants,
> ca. 1850-1900.  Could you possibly tell me the symbolism involved?  The
> cemeteries are located in St. Charles County, MO a great distance from
> the
> ocean for immigrants in the middle to late 1800's.  Not easily supplied
> would think.  We found four conchs in all, very old!!
>
> Dick Schroeder and Phyllis Gumm
>  >>-------------------------------------
>
>I don't know what culture originated the use of conchs but...
>while I was visiting in the Bahamas I noted they would use conch shells in
>much of their decorating.  It was in the masontry of their buildings (walls)
>also.  My guess is that since it is a mainstay in the Bahamian diet, the
>empty shells become cumbersome and have to be used for something.  [there
>isn't much space to dump stuff on islands or a great deal of building tools.]
> Any way I noted that there were chonch shells in their cemetaries as well.
>But I don't know it there was a symbolic reason for it.
>April

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Georgia Museum of Natural History    --------    phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes