From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:18:55 -0000
Hi, Nancy,,,, Karen told you ">There were all kinds of shells to be
found,latirus, bivalves, cones, astraea."
It is illegal to take the astraea , both americana tincta & phobia also
strombus gigas or queen conch. The penalties out-weigh the profits as there
are several gift shops with all the gigas you need .
there are other protected species and I beleive Sir Emilio might just know
of the "cities" website. oh and don't forget DON'T TAKE THE LIGGUS!!!! Rumor
has it that there are collectors amongst us who are take them live .... live
by the sword , die by the sword.
All the best , try collecting around missouri key , cowries can sometimes be
found under the bridge , check the pockets of the old bridge , please be
cafeful as there is a resident bull shark and a stiff current , dive flag a
must ($185.00 fine) along with a Fl. State fishing license. also there are
several long spined black urchins arounsd the bridge .
at deer key there are several safe areas to park , the trails going out thru
the eel ansd turtle grass is a good spot to find beautiful fresh dead cones
, polinces (moon snails), ceriths (augers) ,
Good luck, ferreter