From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:41:11 +0000
        I find a superb packaging material to be those styro-paper separators
used in crates of temple and tangelo oranges (the bi-ply version, not
the thick type, which is a bit cumbersome!) to protect the little
citruses: for most purposes, you can just use one ply: it is light,
strong, and protects even fragile shells rather well!!
        My philosophy of shell packing in general is: pack them so that if
the package is kicked out of the plane at 30,000 feet over its
destination, the shells will survive (although Canada Post seems to
occasionaly find a way to break almost anything!). The two most
important factors are the amount of padding between shells, and
whether or not any shells can move: if something can move in a
package, it is more likely to find a way to get itself broken than one
which is in there snugly!!
All The Best,
Ross.
--