Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 18:33:11 EDT
Hi Paul,
Cymatium martineanum has long been considered a Caribbean form or subspecies
of Cymatium pileare.  In most books it is listed as Cymatium pileare
martineanum.  In the Henning and Hemmen book, they give C. martineanum full
species status.  If you accept that classification, then it is correct to say
that C. pileare is not found in the Caribbean, but is strictly Indo-Pacific.
Cymatium aquatile on the other hand is found in both the Caribbean and the
Indo-Pacific regions.  So, your specimen from the southern Caribbean which
looks like C. aquatile probably is just that - and your specimen which looks
like a small C. pileare is most likely C. martineanum, because that's exactly
what it looks like - a small C. pileare.
Regards,
Paul M.

<<Hello to All,

I have been a subscriber to the list for about 9 months now. I have
contributed or asked questions a couple of times but am alittle shy to enter
into discussions. Be that as it may, I have a question. I have a special
interest in the Ranellidae but am very confused by the differences between
Cymatiums pileare, aquatile and martinianum. I have collected a couple of
specimens in Belize that appear to look more like aquatile.  I have also
collected a 55mm specimen from the same area that looks like a small pileare.
Just what is martinianum? I have Ranellidae & Personidae of the World by
Henning & Hemmen but it only serves to confuse me more.

Help!

Best Wishes to the List

Paul Kanner
Los Angeles, Ca.,USA

<HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>

<DIV>Hello to All, </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have been a subscriber to the list for about 9 months
now.&nbsp;I&nbsp;have contributed or asked questions a couple of times but am