From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:18:40 -0500
Beware of computer translations! You must edit what comes back from the
computer, otherwise you will end up with nonsense. I went to the Alta Vista
site & translated the following simple sentence to German:

I found a shell on the beach that had a live snail inside.

This is what I got back:

Ich fand ein Shell auf dem Strand, der eine Phasenschnecke nach innen hatte.

Then I put in the German sentence & asked for an English translation:

I found a Shell on the beach, which had a phase snail inward.

What on earth is a phase snail? I don't think Phasenschnecke means live
snail. Perhaps one of our German friends can explain what went wrong.

A.