From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:22:58 -0400
ferreter wrote:

>  Here's a question for those  of higher
> education , should a man made habitat be afforded the same rights to exist
> as a natural habitat?

Andrew Vik

I don't fit the bill of higher education, but I'll add my two cents anyway. Man
made environments are  worthy of preservation. The number of species that take
refuge in urban drainage ponds are truly amazing. My truck broke down on one of
our more traveled city highways one day. I just happened to come to rest at the
landscaped sump in front of a strip shopping mall. On one side, the traffic
loudly passed by without a break. On the other side, I watched swamp rabbits,
coots, herons, mallard ducks, ibises, and sandhill cranes busily foraging in
this small artificial refuge. It was so peaceful to watch that the hour I spent
waiting for the tow truck passed quickly.

Such a spectacular success as Peanut Island, though accidental, deserves
preservation just as much as true nature does.

Andrew