From:
Art Weil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:59:39 -0700
Dear Andrew;-
        Right as rain in saying that the computer can't do a gawdam thing. But
people WITH computers now have the ability to be in, and stay in contact
with a myriad of other people with like interests. That's what Conch-L
does. If I had, say, a wentletrap that I thought was unique, a thing
that I had labled as "Ep. sp.", what I would do is describe it and post
a photo of it on Conch-L and Mollusca. If it was a synonym, I have every
confidence that someone on one of the lists would let me know befor I
made a fool of myself.
        Forget I said, "Computer".
        Change it to, "E-mail". It is this instant round-the-world exchange of
ideas that has revolutionized some of our processes. Now, if you publish
a new mollusk without having it reviewed by a multitude of interested
and knowledgeable people, you do so at great risk.
        Art